Curator of Learning and Public Engagement
The Curator/Associate Curator of Learning and Public Engagement takes their cues from the artistic program and the artists residency to create and organize conversations, learnshops, hybrid gatherings, and screenings for a wide-ranging public that includes children, families, and teenagers; schools; seniors; young artists and community groups. This curator is Amant’s liaison with artists, academics, and cultural practitioners, as well as numerous organizations including community spaces and activist groups in the neighborhood.
The Curator/Associate Curator of Learning and Public Engagement is a key member of Amant’s team and will further implement the institution’s mission and contribute to strategic planning and organizational management. The Curator of Learning and Public Engagement directly reports to the Director and Chief Curator.
Requirements & Qualifications
• Co-curate, with the artistic team at Amant, a series of talks, workshops, film screenings, seminars and other types of public events that will form the backbone of Amant’s programs.
• Identify and create opportunities to partner with other community organizations across the neighborhood for long-term engagement.
• Foster communication between Amant and the local community, developing strategies to engage with diverse audiences on various levels.
• Build relationships and collaboration with arts leaders and organizations, establishing Amant as a committed resource for local audiences, especially in underserved communities.
• Lead and grow Amant’s education programs with K–12, college, and adult audiences through oversight of Amant’s education and interactive gallery experiences, Guide Program, hands-on learning, and accessibility initiatives.
• Coordinate Amant’s public programming activities.
• Strengthen relationships with faculty and researchers at local universities and archives.
• In collaboration with the artistic team at Amant, develop programs for and in collaboration with the artists in residency including presentations of their work, schedule critiques and open studios with local professionals; introduce and facilitate access to other artists, scholars, and research centers.
• In collaboration with the artistic team at Amant, develop programs, and initiatives regionally and internationally to grow the Amant network, expanding the mission of the program through collaborations with other institutions and universities.
• Ensure the effective promotion of all public programs and learning activities, helping with the production of website content, archival materials, social media and press for Amant’s Public Programs, educational activities, and NY Residency Program.
• Collaborate with Amant’s communications team in creating and maintaining program recordkeeping and mailing database.
• Assist with the budget and expenditures for Amant Public Programs and learning activities.
Ideal candidates will have:
• Minumum 5 years’ experience in contemporary arts programming especially learning activities, and community engagement projects in a non-profit environment.
• Deep knowledge of contemporary art and artists. Understanding of the local scene and activist groups is a plus.
• Demonstrated creativity in developing programs that engage a broad public.
• Ability to work collaboratively in a small team environment and have a desire to listen to others and learn from others’ experiences.
• Ability to research answers and solve problems independently.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Knowledge of a second language is highly desirable.
• Comfort with public speaking.
• Familiarity with database systems, especially ArtBase.
This is a full-time position. Depending on programming and project needs, the work schedule will occasionally include early mornings, evenings, and weekends.
Amant will not sponsor a visa or other work authorization in connection with this position.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
A Cover Letter and Resume/CV are required to be considered for this position.
Please send your documents to email@example.com.
Amant is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is Amant’s policy to not unlawfully discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic made unlawful to consider by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Amant also prohibits harassment of applicants and employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also Amant’s policy to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding consideration of unemployment status, salary history, credit/bankruptcy history and criminal background/conviction history in making hiring decisions.